2013 Individual Income Tax Information
The Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR) encourages taxpayers to file their tax returns electronically. Filing electronically will save time and allow for a faster refund.
OTR offers electronic filing options, such as:
- Free File: A unique free service which allows taxpayers to choose from a number of free tax prep software that works best for their tax situation.
- Fillable Form: This free online version of form D-40/D-40EZ and schedules allow taxpayers to fill in their tax information, sign electronically and e-file their return.
To file, visit Individual Income Tax Online Filing.
New this filing season:
- Prepaid Debit Visa Card: For 2013 individual income tax refunds, a prepaid Visa card will be available as an alternative to paper checks and direct deposit. The prepaid cards will be available at no cost to the taxpayer, and no bank account or credit check is required to enroll. Taxpayers can use the card to pay bills conveniently and securely, make purchases, and make in-person cash withdrawals at most banks. To learn more, visit District of Columbia Tax Refund Visa Prepaid Card.
- Birth date: OTR is requesting that taxpayers indicate their birth date on their tax return as part of the authentication process. It will be matched against Social Security Records.
Standard deduction increase:
1. Married filing separately or registered domestic partners filing separately deduction increased from $2,000
2. All other filing statuses increased from $4,000 to $4,100
The Council of the District of Columbia has enacted legislation repealing the taxation of income from state and municipal bonds for individuals, estates and trusts. Under prior law, the tax was to apply to income from out-of-state bonds acquired on or after January 1, 2013. As a result of the new legislation, interest earned by individuals, estates and trusts from out-of-state bonds remains exempt.
To download a copy of the tax booklet or forms, visit 2013 Individual Income Tax Forms.
Customer Service Office Hours:
Taxpayers requesting assistance may visit OTR’s walk-in center at 1101 4th Street, SW, Suite W270, from 8:15 am to 5:30 pm Monday through Friday, or call (202) 727-4TAX (4829).