***IMPORTANT UPDATE TO OTR'S RESPONSE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC***
The Office of Tax and Revenue of the District of Columbia (OTR) has extended the original April 15, 2020 deadline to file and pay all income, partnership and franchise tax returns until July 15, 2020. This extension applies to all D-20, D-30, D-40, D-41, D-40B, and D-65 tax filers, and includes combined return filers. This extension is automatic and does not require taxpayers to apply. In addition, OTR has extended three important deadlines for property owners in the District of Columbia (UPDATED APRIL 30, 2020).
***For the latest information about OTR's response to the COVID-19 pandemic, please CLICK HERE.***
The District of Columbia Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR) announced today tax filing and payment deadline extensions for business and real property taxpayers to assist with the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sales and Use Tax Filers:
OTR will automatically waive interest and late payment penalties of sales and use taxes for all businesses (except hotels and motels) for periods ending on February 29, 2020 and March 31, 2020 provided that payment of all taxes due for these periods are paid in full by July 20, 2020. All businesses must continue to timely file their monthly and quarterly sales and use tax returns through OTR’s online portal, MyTax.DC.gov, to receive this benefit.
Real Property Tax Filers:
The real property tax payment deadline will remain March 31, 2020. However, OTR has Extended the following deadlines affecting the District's property owners, see below:
- First Level Assessment Appeals:
- District property owners who believe their proposed TY 2021 real property tax assessment does not reflect the market value of their property must file their appeal by May 15, 2020. Property owners can complete and submit their appeal form online at https://www.taxpayerservicecenter.com/Assessment_Appeal.jsp.
- Income and Expense Report:
- The due date to file the Income and Expense report has been extended to June 1, 2020. All filers must submit their TY 2021 Income and Expense report electronically at https://www.taxpayerservicecenter.com/income/.
- Exempt Property Annual Use Report:
- The due date to file the Exempt Property Annual Use report has been extended to May 15, 2020. Filers must submit their Exempt Property Annual Use Report at https://otr.cfo.dc.gov/node/390282
OTR offers many services online, and we encourage taxpayers to use them:
- Individual and business filers: MyTax.DC.gov
- Real property filers: otr.cfo.dc.gov/service/real-property-tax-payers
For questions, please contact OTR's Customer Service Administration at (202) 727-4TAX (4829).
News and Information:
A special web page has been established to keep taxpayers informed on COVID-19 information and guidance from OTR. Click here to view.