For people who want to make a difference!
Phone: (800) 380-3495
Mail: Government of the District of Columbia
Office of Tax and Revenue
Attn: Tax Fraud Hotline
1101 4th Street, SW, Suite 750W
Washington, DC 20024
The purpose of the Tax Fraud Hotline is to encourage individuals to report information regarding tax fraud with the assurance that their identity will remain confidential and their complaint(s) and/or allegations(s) will be thoroughly evaluated and, where appropriate, investigated in a timely manner.
Anyone wishing to report tax fraud or tax abuse to the District of Columbia is encouraged to contact the Hotline immediately. With the information received, further tax fraud can be prevented.
What is tax fraud? What should be reported to the Tax Fraud Hotline?
Examples of tax fraud that should be reported include:
- Failure to file tax returns
- Failure to pay or correctly report taxes
- False Schedule H returns
- Claiming of false dependents
- Fraudulent DC employee withholding allowance certificate (Form D-4)
- Fraudulent employer withholding tax statement (Form W-2)
- Fraudulent returns and return preparation schemes
- Erroneous claims for real property and tax abatement programs
- Sale of Social Security numbers for dependents
- Tax evasion activity
- Unlicensed businesses
- Unrecorded payments to employees
- Unreported income
- Inappropriate actions by Office of Tax and Revenue employees
Who operates the Hotline?
The Compliance Administration of the Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR) operates the Tax Fraud Hotline. OTR will safeguard the identity of callers to the hotline, and investigations into complaints/allegations will be handled by the appropriate OTR function or referred to the DC Office of the Inspector General.
What can I expect when calling the Tax Fraud Hotline?
When a person contacts the Hotline, he or she can expect the Hotline staff to conduct a thorough evaluation of the details of the allegation. If deemed necessary, a criminal investigation will be launched. If a call is viewed as phony, then the information will be disregarded as false.