Attention Software Developers (Electronic and Paper Forms)
For Tax Year 2016, DC will be using the State Exchange System (SES) to securely distribute the Tax Software Provider Registration Form (or Letter of Intent), efile schemas, business rules and related materials, and all SUB Forms for the coming year.
All software providers are required to complete the registration form to request approval from DC OTR to provide tax preparation software for electronic and paper form submissions. Permission to access the registration form will be granted to vendors by DC.
Since the Federation of Tax Administrators (FTA) must also grant access to the vendor, FTA is limiting the number of approved users per vendor. The FTA is working with the National Association of Computerized Tax Processors (NACTP) to generate a vendor access list with the email addresses of the identified users for each vendor. For more information or to get your company included on the vendor access list, contact the FTA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Approved vendors will be granted view/download access to the DC folders on the SES. An email will be sent to you once permission is granted. The registration form is due by October 14, 2016.
Modernized e-file (MeF)
The Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR) invites all eligible practitioners and software developers to participate in the DC MeF joint electronic program. Beginning Tax Year 2016, OTR will be requiring the Standard 2016 Tax Software Provider Registration Form located on the State Exchange System (SES). This registration is required for MeF and substitute forms. If you need additional information, please email email@example.com.
|ADVANCE TAX RETURN, INC||ADVANCE TAX RETURN|
|Advanced Tax Solutions, LLC||MyTaxPrepOffice|
|CCH Small Firms Services||
|CS Professional Suite||UltraTax CS|
|E-file Tax Returns, LLC||EFileTaxReturns.com|
|HRB Development LLC||
HRBO (H&R BLOCK ONLINE)
HRBS (H&R BLOCK TAX SOFTWARE)
Intuit Tax Online (ITO)
|Jackson Hewitt Technology Services||Profiler|
|Liberty Tax Service||
DIY Free Tax
|NTS Services Corp||TaxVision|
|On-Line Taxes, Inc||
|PETZ ENTERPRISES, LLC||CrossLink|
|Taxware Systems Inc||Wintax-Taxware|
|Thomson Reuters - GoSystem/ONESOURCE||GoSystem/ONESOURCE|
CCH Axcess Tax
Substitute Tax Forms Approval Process and Information
A substitute tax form is a computer-generated form for filing in lieu of official DC tax forms. Reference the "Substitute Forms Guidelines" publication for the appropriate generation, use and approval of substitute forms.
- DC-1167 Substitute Forms Guidelines September 2016 - Available on the State Exchange System (SES)
- DC-1167 Substitute Forms Guidelines September 2015 - Available on the State Exchange System (SES)
- DC-1167 Substitute Forms Guidelines December 2014 - Available on the State Exchange System (SES)
Substitute tax form grids are available to assist software developers and printers in the accurate generation of substitute tax forms. These grids show the exact design and location of the required elements on the official forms. The substitute tax form grids are for computer-generated/printed, black-and-white versions of pages in the official form that contain drop-out ink. If there are pages in the official version that are black-and-white, continue those in the same format.
Substitute Tax Form Grids
Questions and comments concerning these grids should be addressed to the Office of Tax and Revenue's System and Forms Division at (202) 442-6262 or (202) 442-6919.
Individual Income and Business Returns:
- 2016 (for returns filed in 2017) - Available on the State Exchange System (SES)
- 2015 (for returns filed in 2016) - Available on the State Exchange System (SES)
- 2014 (for returns filed in 2015) - Available on the State Exchange System (SES)
Personal Property Returns:
- 2017 (for returns filed in 2016) - Available on the State Exchange System (SES)
- 2016 (for returns filed in 2015) - Available on the State Exchange System (SES)
- 2015 (for returns filed in 2014) - Available on the State Exchange System (SES)
- 2014 (for returns filed in 2013) - Available on the State Exchange System (SES)