Freefile is a joint venture between the government and certain tax software companies (listed below). The companies listed below offer free e-filing of your federal tax return and your state return, if you meet certain criteria. Check to see if you qualify to file your federal and DC income tax returns for free and select your vendor of choice. When you click on a vendor, you will be re-directed to its website to begin your return. To ensure you can file both your federal and state returns for free, please access these products by clicking on the logos below or from the IRS freefile website.
Each of the following commercial products have been tested and approved to electronically transmit Individual Income tax returns for tax year 2019 to the Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR). OTR does not promote or endorse any particular online filing product. Approval by OTR only means that the vendor has met established software specifications.
The District of Columbia is requesting additional information this filing season in an effort to combat stolen-identity tax fraud and ensure that your hard-earned tax refund goes to you. Please provide the voluntary requested information from your driver's license or District of Columbia identification card. Your return will not be rejected if you do not have a driver's license or District of Columbia identification card, and providing the information could help process your return quicker.
Note: By clicking on these external links (logos), you will leave the DC Office of Tax and Revenue’s website. There may be product limitations that may impact your filing, check with your prospective provider to review limitations and supported forms/schedules before filing.
1040 Now: Free federal and DC tax preparation & e-file for all who live in DC with an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $32,000 or less. This offer is limited to three (3) free tax returns per computer.
FreeTaxUSA: For a taxpayer to be eligible to use our free services, they will need to meet the following requirements:
• AGI is $36,000 or less
-- OR –
• Qualified for the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit
-- OR –
• Active Duty Military who served in 2019, with an AGI of $69,000 or less
OLT: Free federal and free state online tax preparation and e-filing if your Federal Adjusted Gross Income is between $14,000 and $69,000 regardless of age. Active Duty Military with adjusted gross income of $69,000 or less will also qualify.
Intuit TurboTax: IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, donating free federal and state tax returns and tax extensions nationwide for:
• Any taxpayer with Adjusted Gross Income of $36,000 or less
• Any Active Duty Military with Adjusted Gross Income of $69,000 or less (including Reservists and National Guard)
• Any taxpayer eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
• Accuracy & Simplicity: Download your W2 and transfer prior year TurboTax data
Qualified taxpayers can prepare and e-file their federal and state return online for FREE, including tax extensions, with America's #1 best-selling tax preparation product year after year.
TaxAct® Free File:
- Adjusted Gross Income of $59,000 or less, and
- Age 56 or younger, or
- Eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit, or
- Active Military with Adjusted Gross Income of $69,000 or less
H&R Block Free File: Free DC return if you qualify for a free federal return.
- Your Adjusted Gross Income is $69,000 or less, AND your age is between 17 and 51, OR
- You are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, OR
- Free for Active Military for Adjusted Gross Income of $69,000 or less
- Adjusted Gross Income of $69,000 or less, and
- Age 51 or younger