Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Office of Tax and Revenue

DC Agency Top Menu

Effective 2/26/24, OTR's Cashier's Office is now located at 1100 4th Street, SW, Suite E200, Washington, DC 20024.

In-person appointments for OTR’s Walk-In Center and the Recorder of Deeds Office can be made here.

Certificate of Clean Hands: Obtaining a Certificate of Clean Hands is a simple process by visiting

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Individual Income Tax Payment-Refund FAQs

How long will it take for me to receive my refund?
OTR’s enhanced security measures to safeguard tax dollars and combat identify theft/tax refund fraud may result in longer processing times for some tax returns and associated refunds. Processing of selected tax returns is estimated to take up to eight weeks. 

To whom do I make my payment payable?
Make your check or money order payable to the "DC Treasurer." Do not send cash. Write your Social Security number, daytime phone number, tax year of the return, and the return type (D-40, D-40EZ, etc.) on your payment.

What if I am not able to pay my tax bill in full?
If you are unable to pay your tax bill in full, file your tax return anyway, pay what you can, then immediately contact us so we can help you meet your tax obligations. Call us at (202) 727-4TAX, write us, or visit our Customer Service Center to explain to us how you plan to pay the balance. If your plan is acceptable, we will extend the time for payment. If we do not hear from you, we must assume that you refuse to pay, and we must carry out our responsibility to enforce collection of your tax. 

How can I be penalized if I do not pay my tax bill?
Please note that before we take any of the actions listed below, we try to contact you and give you an opportunity to pay voluntarily. However, if you do not cooperate with us, we may take any or all of the following actions: file a tax lien; seize property such as wages, bank accounts, and investments; or seize and sell vehicles, real estate, and business property.

Is there a phone number that I can call to check on my refund?
As long as your tax return has been processed, you may call (202) 727-4TAX to find out the status of your refund. You may check your refund status online at MyTax.DC.Gov.