The District of Columbia “Clean Hands” mandate (D.C. Code § 47-2862) stipulates that individuals and businesses are to be denied City goods or services (e.g. licenses, permits, grants, contracts) if there is a debt owed to the District of Columbia of more than $100 for fees, fines, taxes, or penalties; and/or failure to file required District tax returns.
The Office of the Chief Financial Officer, Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR) facilitates administration and compliance of the Certificate of Clean Hands (CCH) mandate by providing individuals and businesses online self-service capability to generate or, in certain circumstances, request a “Clean Hands” certificate.
Taxpayers requesting a Certificate of Clean Hands can do so online at MyTax.DC.gov.
- Request a new Certificate of Clean Hands, or check the status of an existing Certificate of Clean Hands here.
- View Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
- Obtain a Certificate of Clean Hands; it’s as easy as 1-2-3! View the CCH brochure (PDF).
- Learn how to navigate the new Clean Hands application by viewing the various tutorials.
- Certificate of Clean Hands Webinar Deck (PDF).
- (Video) Certificate of Clean Hands Webinar
For additional information, please contact OTR’s Compliance Administration, Collections Division at (202) 724-5045 or email [email protected].
For technical support, contact OTR’s E-Services unit at (202) 759-1946 or email [email protected].