Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Office of Tax and Revenue

DC Agency Top Menu

Effective 2/26/24, OTR's Cashier's Office is now located at 1100 4th Street, SW, Suite E200, Washington, DC 20024.

In-person appointments for OTR’s Walk-In Center and the Recorder of Deeds Office can be made here.

Certificate of Clean Hands: Obtaining a Certificate of Clean Hands is a simple process by visiting

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Certificate of Clean Hands



What is the "Clean Hands" Mandate?

In the District of Columbia, taxpayers can request a "Certificate of Clean Hands" that demonstrates that they are in compliance with their District financial obligations. The District's Clean Hands mandate requires that individuals and businesses be denied city goods or services (i.e. licenses, permits, grants, contracts) if there is a debt owed to the District of Columbia of more than $100 or if they have not filed required District tax returns.

In order to receive a Certificate of Clean Hands, a taxpayer must:

  • not owe more than $100 in any fees, fines, taxes, or penalties to OTR unless the debt is included in a valid payment agreement and is compliant with the Department of Employment Services (DOES)
  • be fully registered for all required tax types 
  • have submitted all required District tax returns

How do I obtain a Certificate of Clean Hands?

You can request a Certificate of Clean Hands online at If you have a District tax obligation, a account is required and the Certificate of Clean Hands can be generated from within your account. If you do not have a District tax obligation, a manual request can be submitted without logging in, by using the link to "Request a Certificate of Clean Hands" without logging in to 

  • Please note: We have discontinued the issuance of hard copies or prints for Certificate of Clean Hands at our Walk-in Customer Service Center.

Do I Need a Taxpayer Identification Number?

If you are not a resident of the District, and you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), you will need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). The IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a US taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, an SSN. If you are in need of an ITIN, please see link How do I apply for an ITIN? | Internal Revenue Service ( If you are not eligible for an ITIN, you will need to use a registered agent.


For additional information, please contact OTR’s Compliance Administration, Collections Division at (202) 724-5045 or email [email protected].

For technical support, contact OTR’s E-Services unit at (202) 759-1946 or email [email protected].