Office of Tax and Revenue

DC Agency Top Menu

Individual Income and Franchise Tax Extensions - Learn more here. Important District of Columbia Real Property Tax Filing Deadline Extensions - Learn more here.
We are currently experiencing higher than normal wait times, and apologize for any inconvenience. For faster service, please use our online portal, MyTax.DC.gov.
Where’s my refund? Check your DC refund status here.
View real property tax information here.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Motor Vehicle Fuel

A tax imposed on every importer of motor fuels, including gasoline, diesel fuel, benzol, benzene, naphtha, kerosene, heating oils, all liquified petroleum gases, and all combustible gases and liquids suitable for the generation of power for motor vehicles (DC Code Citation: Title 47, Chapter 23).

Tax Form to be Filed


Who Must File?

Each importer engaged in selling or use of motor vehicle fuel in DC must file form FR-400M. Persons who bring fuel for use, such as in excavating equipment on a DC construction site must also file form FR-400M, if the fuel is brought from outside DC and is not delivered by a DC licensed importer.

Filing Frequency


Due Date:

25th of the month following the period end

Please note: Taxpayers are required to file every month, even if there is no tax liability for the month being filed.