Office of Tax and Revenue

DC Agency Top Menu

Important! District of Columbia tax changes to take effect October 1. Learn more here.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Individual Income Tax Filing FAQs

How long will it take for me to receive my refund?
OTR’s enhanced security measures to safeguard tax dollars and combat identify theft/tax refund fraud may result in longer processing times for some tax returns and associated refunds. The processing window for selected tax returns could be up to 25 days.

Do I have to file a DC income tax return?
You must file a DC tax return if:

  • You were a resident of the District of Columbia and you were required to file a federal tax return.
  • Your permanent residence was in the District of Columbia for either part of or the full taxable year.
  • You lived in the District of Columbia for 183 days or more during the taxable year, even if your permanent residence was outside the District of Columbia.
  • You were a member of the armed forces and your home of record was the District of Columbia for either part of or the full taxable year.
  • You are the spouse of an exempt military person or of any other exempt person such as a nonresident presidential appointee or an elected official.
  • If you want to receive a refund of DC taxes withheld during the year, or if you qualify for and want to receive the following refundable credits:
    • The DC Earned Income Tax Credit;
    • Schedule N, Non-Custodial Parent Earned Income Tax Credit
    • Schedule H, Homeowner and Renter Property Tax Credit; or
    • Schedule ELC, Early Learning Tax Credit.

What is the due date for my District of Columbia individual tax return?
The due date for your DC income tax return is April 15. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the return is due the next business day.

Where can I get tax forms?
You can download tax forms by visiting Tax Forms, Publications, and Resources or you can obtain forms from several locations around the District of Columbia by also visiting Tax Forms, Publications, and Resources to find these locations.

Can I file my District tax return electronically?
Electronic filing is the best way to file an error-free return and receive an income tax refund faster. Visit the Individual Income Tax Service Center for more information on electronic filing.

What is the individual income tax rate for the District of Columbia?
Visit the Individual Income and Business Taxes page for a description of current tax rates. 

What is my standard deduction?

For the tax year 2018, the DC standard deduction is determined by your filing status as shown below. However, if you itemize deductions on the federal form Schedule A, you are not entitled to the standard deduction:

Filing Status / Standard Deduction:
A - Single $12,000
B - Head of Household $18,000
C - Married filing jointly $24,000
D - Married filing separately $12,000
E - Married filing separately on the same return $24,000
F - Registered domestic partners filling jointly $24,000
G - Registered domestic partners filling filing separately $12,000
H - Registered domestic partners filling separately on the same return $24,000
I - Dependent claimed by someone else, use the standard deduction worksheet for Dependent Filers
J - Qualifying widow(er) with dependent children $24,000

An additional standard deduction of $1,300 ($1,600 if single or head of household) is allowed if you are age 65 or older, or blind. Use Schedule S, Calculation G-1.

State and Local Taxes (SALT)

DC does not allow a deduction for state and local income taxes. You can deduct your entire state and local real estate taxes. Refer to Calculation D if a part-year resident, or Calculation F if a full-year resident.

Where should I mail my tax return and/or payment?
The mailing address for the D-40 and D-40EZ individual income tax returns is Office of Tax and Revenue, PO Box 96169, Washington, DC 20090-6169. If mailing a refund or no payment return, mail to the Office of Tax and Revenue, PO Box 96145, Washington, DC 20090-6145.  Visit Mailing Addresses for DC Tax Returns [PDF] to learn where to mail other tax forms.

How do I request an extension of time to file my individual income tax return?
If you require more time to file your return, submit an extension of time to file request, Form FR-127, on or before April 15. Any tax due must be paid in full with the request. Penalty and interest will be assessed on any tax outstanding from the time that the return is due until the tax is paid, even if an extension to file is granted. (There is no extension of time to pay.) A copy of the federal application for an extension of time to file is acceptable for requesting an extension of time for filing a DC return.

By filing a timely Form FR-127, plus any payment due with the extension, you have a 6-month extension of time to file until October 15. In addition to this initial extension, you may receive, upon request, an additional 6-month extension if you are living or traveling outside the United States. 

The Office of Tax and Revenue will grant members of the US Armed Forces who serve in designated Combat Zones, an extension of up to an additional six months to file their District income taxes, as well as pay any amounts that are due. During this period of extension, assessment and collection deadlines are extended, and no penalty and/or interest will be charged. The extension also applies to spouses, where they file joint or separate returns.

Will I be penalized if I am due a refund, but my return is filed late?
No, you have three (3) years from the due date of the return to file for a refund.