Office of Tax and Revenue

DC Agency Top Menu

Heat Emergency - A heat emergency is in effect for Washington, DC. Residents are urged to take precautions against the heat.
Find cooling centers and more information about heat emergencies.

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Recorder of Deeds Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Recorder of Deeds office located and what are its hours of operation?
The Recorder of Deeds is located at 1101 4th Street, SW, 5th Floor, Washington, DC 20024, and is open from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm for purposes of recording a deed and from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm for all other services.

Why does a real property tax bill reflect the previous owner name? Has my deed been recorded?
Your real property tax bill will reflect the current owner of record. You may check our Document Images for your deed and to obtain a copy of the deed.

When will my tax abatement begin?
If your application was filed timely in the Recorder of Deeds office, the tax abatement will start at the beginning of the fiscal year (October 1) following the recording of the deed.

What are the filing fees to record documents in the land records?
Effective January 1, 2012, the Office of the Recorder of Deeds implemented a new fee structure for recording documents and obtaining copies of documents (more information).

Can you tell me who owns a specific property and what the circumstances were when the property was purchased?
The Recorder of Deeds office does not perform title searches that involve the circumstances of a purchase. You may obtain specific information about a property by visiting our Document Images.

Will you accept a notarized document from jurisdictions outside of the District of Columbia?
Yes. The statute provides that the Recorder shall accept notarial acts of other jurisdictions as if the act had been performed in the District of Columbia.

What do I need to file a mechanics lien in the District of Columbia?
To file a mechanics lien, the Recorder of Deeds office requires a copy of the work agreement executed by both parties and one of the following:

  • Licenses issued by the Consumer Regulatory Agency, or
  • Certificate of Good Standing issued by the Consumer Regulatory Agency, or
  • Tax ID number issued by the Office of Tax and Revenue.

How can I update my address information?
You may update your address information in person by visiting the Office of Tax and Revenue's Customer Service Center. You can also download a change of address form from Tax Forms/Publications.

Does your office accepts documents and forms, such as FP-7 form, on legal size paper 8 1/2 x 14?
For recordation purposes, the office of the Recorder of Deeds accepts documents and forms on paper size 8 ½ x 14 and 8 ½ x 11 and double sided.