The District of Columbia Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR) reminds taxpayers and tax preparers that the deadline to file their individual income tax return, and remit payment due, is days away - Monday, April 15.
Below are some points to keep in mind as the tax filing deadline nears:
- Filing Deadline: All income tax returns and related payments for tax year 2018 must be e-filed or postmarked on or before Monday, April 15, 2019.
- What’s New: A special edition on OTR’s blog outlined what’s new for the current tax-filing season.
- Electronic Filing: E-filing is faster, minimizes errors, and provides an electronic filing acknowledgement. OTR’s website lists a number of companies that offer free e-filing of the federal and state returns, if certain criteria are met.
- Fillable Form: OTR also offer a fillable form option, which allows residents to preparer their District return online, and e-file it, at no charge.
- Forms and Instructions: A number of tax forms, instructions, and other related materials are available online at any time at OTR’s website.
- Extension: Taxpayers who may need additional time to file their tax return, may request an extension of time to file (FR-127) at the online system, MyTax.DC.gov. Reminder: It’s an extension of time to file, not to pay.
- Payment Options: To remit a payment, taxpayers should log in to their MyTax.DC.gov account, which allows them to pay directly from their bank account for free, or pay with their credit/debit card for a fee.
- Online Payment Agreement: Taxpayers with an outstanding liability can apply for an online payment agreement by logging in to their MyTax.DC.gov accounts. The “How to Request a Payment Agreement” tutorial is a helpful resource in setting up a payment agreement.
- Where’s My Refund: Taxpayers who may be due a refund, can check their refund status at MyTax.DC.gov. They will need to input their social security number, tax year and exact refund amount.
- Contact OTR: Forms, instructions and related items can also be picked up at OTR’s office. The office is located at 1101 4th Street, SW, Suite 270, Washington, DC 20024, and is open to the public from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Taxpayers may also call the office during the same hours at: (202) 727-4TAX (4829). Tax practitioners may call (202) 727-1435.