The Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR) has made changes to the estate tax filing process for representatives of decedents whose death occurred from January 1, 2016 and forward. Effective May 2, 2018, estate representatives responsible for filing an estate tax will be required to register for an account, file and submit payment via MyTax.DC.gov for the following Estate Tax returns:
At MyTax.DC.gov the estate representative will be able to:
1. Attach applicable forms and schedules, such as:
- Death Certificate
- Letters of Administration
- Other acceptable documents identifying the estate’s beneficiaries and/or executor(s) of the estate
2. Register for third party access, in which multiple parties can have access to the estate tax account.
3. View previously filed returns.
4. Make payment for any filing period.
5. Submit an amended return or file for an extension of time to file.
To learn more about this new filing requirement, view the estate tax brochure (PDF).